20 arrested over attacks in Uganda
20 Arrested Over Attacks in Uganda
From The New York Times
By Josh Kron - July 17, 2010
KAMPALA, Uganda — The police have arrested a second batch of suspects in connection to last Sunday’s terrorist attacks in this capital that killed 76 people, and they said suicide bombers were probably involved in the attacks.
The Shabab, an Islamist insurgency in Somalia, claimed responsibility for the three bombs that struck two popular nightspots where soccer fans had gathered to watch the final match of the World Cup.
The police said that the latest suspects included people from Uganda, Somalia and Ethiopia.
Some of the suspects were been arrested while trying to leave the country and were caught near the borders with Sudan and Rwanda, the police said.
Local news media quoted the police as saying that at least 20 people had been arrested.
“I think the investigations are proceeding well,” said Judith Nabakooba, a police spokeswoman. “We are working in a dedicated way.”
The arrests come as Kampala is preparing to host the 15th African Union summit meeting this month; over 50 African heads of state are expected to attend.
Investigations and new security measures have continued in Kampala, where the mood is tense. More than 60 agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation are in Uganda, assisting in the investigations, according to the United States Embassy.